Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Brenham Middle School used the theme, "Oh the Places You'll Go" with Dr. Seuss. All of the teachers contributed to reading and filming a small section of this book. Check out the link here:
BMS Oh the Places You'll Go
In the Tech Lab, as one way to determine the needs of my Gifted students I used freeonlinesurveys.com linked to Symballoo to set up a simple student interest survey.
It was easy to use and as the parents were trying to finish paperwork, the students answered a few questions about themselves.
I hope to use their responses as "get to know each other" activities.
Here are a few responses from the 4th grade survey: #6 responses being by far my favorite!
2. What kinds of things do you LOVE to learn about? Science, Math, Nature, Animals...
3. What do you like to do in your free time? sleep, read, draw, make things out of paper...
4. What kinds of things have you collected? snow globes, rocks, coins, bugs, arrowheads...
5. If you could talk to any person in history, who would it be and why? Harriet Tubman, because she would give me advice on how to be braver/ George Washington/Anne Frank, because her life was interesting
6. If you could invent something to make the world a better place, what would it be? A mind control plane, a thought controlled remote, a giant filter for the ocean, a machine to settle all the countries' differences, a marshmallow suit, a force field......
7. I also used the check box feature to ask them "What technology do you have at home?"
Knowing what technology they have at home may help to make an exciting year!
For a more detailed interested inventory and information on how to help differentiate in the regular classroom for Gifted kids, check out this blog post:
Pre Assessment / Daily Preparation for GT Kids